Low Blood Sugar
Hypoglycaemia is acute complication of diabetes. Hypoglycaemia means abnormally low blood sugar level in the blood. When blood sugar is less than 70 mg/dl. Hypoglycaemia occurs suddenly and due to sudden drop in blood sugar level in the cell due to inadequate glucose. Hypoglycaemia could lead to frightening complications in people with diabetes.
Sometimes person is on insulin, as reaction of insulin person land up in hypoglycaemia. This condition we can call insulin shock. Every individual shows different reaction to hypoglycaemia. Physical exercise also can cause the hypoglycaemia. When person exert his body more than his limit that time blood sugar goes down.
If person is on oral medication and does not take proper diet, that time he will land up to low blood sugar. When person is on oral medication should be taken proper carbohydrate and protein.
When blood sugar is 70 or less than 70 mg/dl, immediately person should take orally sugar and after 10-15 minutes check the blood sugar and suppose it is not increased then again you have to take sugar. Same process you have to repeat it.
How to Know Low Sugar in Blood
When person got excessive sweating without doing any hard work. Sometimes person feels tiredness. Person become irritable when his sugar go down. When person knows his sugar going down on an off, he has to take help of the doctor and also dietitian. He should re-modified his medicine. And also he take the expert opinion of dietitian related to his daily diet.
Some people have tendency, at night time sugar goes down this condition is very dangerous for everyone. When sugar goes down at night always keep some glucose at bed side. When person confirms what time sugar goes down before that he should have glucose or sugar. And as early as possible he should consult the doctor.
To control low sugar, person has to check regular blood sugar. Regular follow up with doctor. And also follow diet. Do not eat food which directly taste sweet to your tongue.
Symptoms of Hypoglycaemia
- Mild hypoglycaemia can be handled by self-treatment or self-management.
- Person experiences tremors, palpitation, sweating, hunger, fatigue, cold clammy skin in diabetes.
- In moderate hypoglycaemia prompt treatment is require.
- In this condition person experiences headache, dizziness, mood changes, low attentiveness, drowsiness, blurred vision, slurred speech.
- This condition is not manageable or non-treatable for any person. They have to immediately seek the help of doctor.
- Person may be conscious or unconscious, coma, convulsions, disoriented behaviour.
How to help prevent Hypoglycaemia caused by Physical Activity
- Always check blood sugar before starting of exercise, sports or any other physical activity. Have the snack if your blood glucose level is below 100 mg/dl before starting it.
- Sometimes there is need to adjusting medication before physical activity or exercise.
- Blood sugar should be checked regular interval during extended periods of physical activity and also have the snacks without fail whenever needed.
- After completing exercise or physical activity check blood sugar periodically.