Peripheral sensory motor neuropathy and autonomic neuropathy is the most common form of diabetic neuropathy. In peripheral neuropathy, peripheral limbs of the body gets affected. It has been observed that approximately 50% of people with diabetes are affected by neuropathy after 15 years of diabetes.
The symptoms are usually bilateral and follows a ‘glove and stocking’ distribution. When neuropathy has reached up to the knees, usually the hands become involved. Peripheral neuropathy starts from the toes and fingers.
Once person came to know he has diabetes, from that day onwards he should keep his sugar level under control. This would be help to prevent or reduce the peripheral neuropathy.
If suppose person does not kept sugar level under control, then it would be chances to lead to cut the limb (amputation)
Risk of Peripheral Neuropathy Develops
- If your sugar is not in under control, always it is high sugar in blood.
- Person is having diabetics more than 15 years.
- It occurs more in old age people.
- People who are having excess weight or we can say obese.
- People who all are having diabetes and consuming excess alcohol.
- People who all are smoking.
- Person who are having high blood pressure.
- Person whose cholesterol is high
What are the Symptoms of Peripheral Neuropathy
- Person feel the numbness and tingling in feet or hand. It slowly started spreading upward to legs and arms.
- It is disease of vessels. So person gets pain in limbs. Person gets sharp, jabbing or burning types of pain.
- Person gets pricking sensation of pin and needles.
- Person is more sensitive by touching
- Due to loss of sensation, diabetic person loss the coordination and also person has fall sometimes.
- Sometimes person suffers with muscle weakness or paralysis, if motor nerves are getting affected.
- If person losses his sensation. It is serious problem, feet gets affected and develops ulcer, infections, deformities, Joint and bones pain.
- When follows regular follow up of doctors, regular exercises, avoid intake of simple sugar. These person did not find any symptoms of peripheral neuropathy.