In today’s scenario, Diabetes is not well known or understood by many employers. The vast majority of people with diabetes live and work successfully without negative impact on their work.
They are able to complete their work with positive effect. Because their condition does not impact their ability to do their job, they might choose to not make their employer aware of their condition. Some employees have fear of discrimination, who keeps many employee with quiet.
There are certain important rights and responsibilities of the employer as well as employee having diabetes.
The employer has the right to ask questions about a person’s disability in order to…..
- Determine their ability to perform a job
- Identify any reasonable adjustments required in the workplace for the employee.
- Employer has to provide advice regarding superannuation worker’s compensation and other insurance.
The employer has responsibility for the employee….
- Ensure the health and safety of the employees at workplace.
- Each employee has to be supervised properly.
- The employer should not be discriminated directly or indirectly be less favourable treatment of the employee.
- The employer has make reasonable adjustment in the workplace wherever required.
- The employer should be avoided and prevented harassment of the employee.
- If any employee is having diabetes or any other disease, confidentiality is to be maintained by the employer
- Should make it available first aid kit which contains easily absorbed carbohydrate foods, e.g., jelly beans, or fruit juice etc,.
Reasonable adjustments for people with diabetes can include…
- First thing is about maintenance of confidentiality.
- To make provision of regularly scheduled breaks in addition to minimum award requirements.
- To make provision of flexibility with breaks, meetings, shifts and permission to eat on the job, whenever requirement.
- Provision of privacy for blood sugar level testing and medication / insulin administration.
- Employer has to make provision of occupational health and safety aids if needed.