Both hypo and hyperthermia may be life threatening in neonates.
Maintenance of a constant internal body temperature independent of the environmental temperature.
Staff Nurse, Auxillary Nurse Midwife and Head Nurse.
- As per the condition of the child or neonates keep the following things ready –
- Warm blanket.
- Radiant Warmer.
- Assess the infant and use the equipment for thermo regulations as per patient’s condition.
- Check the equipment prior to use whether it is giving the adequate thermal environment.
- Check the neonate/infant’s temperature after every 2 hours (rectal temperature in neonate), adjust and set the warmer temperature accordingly.
- Minimal exposure and minimal handling of patient when any procedure is done.
- In premature babies, the baby’s head and leg should be always covered with a woolen cap and socks respectively.
- Maintain a proper intake, output chart and temperature chart to avoid dehydration and hypothermia.
- Upper and Lower alarm limit should be adjusted and do not ignore any alarms when using radiant warmer for baby. Don’t cover the baby with cloth or baby sheet.
- Over heating should be avoided.
- Make sure skin probe of radiant warmer is attached to Neonates skin.
- Do not keep any inflammable articles near the warmer. Observe the infant frequently for peripheral cynosis activity and cry. Staff should be a good observer.
- Nurse’s Observation Sheet.