People with diabetes might develop some of limitations due to diabetes-related complications. Also, the degree of limitation varies among individuals. Hence, people with diabetes need special care to perform their jobs and many others may only need a few adjustments in their routine care.
The following facilities / provisions should be made available at workplace….
In case of Hypo / Hyperglycaemias
- Employer has to allow for storage of medications, such as Insulin and / or food.
- Area to be provided for test of blood sugar levels, whenever requires
- Area to be provided for administration of medication and injection insulin.
- Provide appropriate containers for syringe / needles disposal.
- Provide a rest room for re-orientation after hypoglycaemia / hyperglycaemic episode.
- Allow frequent breaks for food as needed.
- Provide appropriate food which is suitable for the diabetic person, in offices sponsored events and reward programmes.
- Consider modifications to policies involving food storage and consumption.
In case of Diabetic Neuropathy
- If person develop diabetic neuropathy, it is
necessary to modify job tasks requiring fine finger dexterity.
- Diabetic person would be available protective clothing and equipment.
- Diabetic person should be eliminate or reduce the need to use sharp objects.
- Provide anti-fatigue mats or padded carpeting.
- Allow body to flexible more often with sitting and standing.
- Parking accommodations to be provided.
In case of Fatigue or Weakness
- Allow employees frequent rest breaks for rest
- Person should limit or reduce strenuous activities. If suffers more fatigue, they can eliminate that activities.
- To make available anti-fatigue mats or padded carpet for use.
- To make available rest area with cost for the employees
- Allow flexibility to sit and stand while on work.
- Allow them to share job.
- Shorten work day and extend work week for diabetes people.
In case of Diabetic Retinopathy
- For diabetic employee, if they benefits from magnification, consider external magnification devices or computer screen magnification software.
- If magnification does not beneficial to an individual, consider Braille, tactile graphics or assistive technology e.g., screen reading software.
- Blurriness or haziness is experiencing by the individual, then use high contrast setting and themes might be helpful for them.
- You can provide digital voice recorder.
- Qualified reader can be provided to them
- Can be provided flexible schedule to use transportation to and from work.
- Can be allowed use of service animal for assistance with vision and / or mobility.
- If person face photo sensitivity consider them and allow them alternative lighting such as lamp or fluorescent light filters.
In case of Diabetic Nephropathy
- Provide easy access to restroom facilities.
- Allow flexible schedule or time off for treatment (dialysis)
- Allow people for telework from dialysis unit, if they can do it
In case of Cognitive / Psychological Problems due to diabetes
- Provide written job instructions and prioritize assignments
- Increase job structure
- To make day planner or electronic organizer
- Provide flexible work hours for them
- To make arrangement of reminders
- Minimise distraction in works
- To allow techniques for reduces stress
- Allow time off for counselling or therapy.