The purpose of a recovery room is to provide direct and continuous patient observation during emergency from general or regional anesthesia.
Patient who has undergone surgical procedure.
The recovery room also called a “Post Anesthesia Care Unit” (PACU) is a space where a patient is taken to after surgery to safely regain consciousness from anesthesia and receive appropriate post-operative care.
Recovery Room Nurse.
Preparation of the Unit
- Maintain a safe, comfortable, clean and organized environment.
- Provide lighting, which allows for good nursing practice.
- Keep noise at the minimum level.
- Maintain safe storage of the equipment.
- Provide correct measures for the safe removal and disposal of used linen, equipment and waste as per hospital policy.
Ensure all equipment is in good working order for efficient use.
The patient’s trolley
- Clean top as per hospital infection control policy and drape with a clean sheet on it.
- Check for all movements – Up, Down, Head Up and down.
- Equipment should include IV stands, along with the hooks of IV stand, pulse Oxymeter, ______ oxygen supply with clean oxygen humidifier with oxygen nasal cannula / mask.
Central Suction Connection
- Central Suction Connection should be clean, checked before use and in working condition.
- Central Suction Connection should also have supply of assorted catheters.
- Should be clean.
- Checked before use.
- Have supply of oxygen cannula / mask of (Adult and Pediatric).
- Keep the emergency trolley fully equipped and ready for use.
Transferring patients to recovery room
- Position and movement carried out is in safe and caring manner in accordance with the patient’s physical status.
- Brakes are applied to trolley.
- The trolley sides are used.
- Head and feet are promptly supported.
- Positioned correctly on trolley.
- Belts are used to restless patients.
- Measures are taken to prevent injury to restless patient.