Person who detect the diabetes and doctor has advice to take insulin. Doctor is educating the client related to administration of insulin. How and when insulin is to be administered, instructions demonstrated by doctor or nurse to the client. Sometime doctor has advice single dose insulin and sometimes multiple dose insulin. Person has to take two different type of insulin bottles. One by one insulin should be drawn into the syringe. Instructions are as follows….
Instructions to take Multiple Dose Insulin
- Wipe off top of bottle with alcohol swab (cotton and alcohol).
- Roll cloudy bottle upside down and sideways between hands.
- Pull plunger of syringe to number of units of cloudy insulin you should inject.
- Pull needle through top of cloudy insulin bottle. Bottle to be kept upright on table, push plunger down, putting air into bottle. Take needle out. Syringe should be empty.
- Pull plunger of syringe to number of units of clear insulin you should inject.
- Put needle through top of clear insulin bottle. Keep bottle upright on table. Push plunger down.
- Leave needle in clear bottle and turn bottle upside down.
- Pull plunger out about 10 units past the number of units of clear insulin you should inject. Check insulin in syringe for bubbles. If you do not see bubbles, push plunger to number of units of clear insulin you should inject. Remove needle from bottle. Then repeat steps 5-8 again.
- Turn cloudy bottle upside down. Put needle through top of bottle.
- Pull plunger slowly to the number of total units of clear and cloudy insulins you should inject. Remove needle from bottle.
- Wipe skin with alcohol swab or wash the area with soap and water.
- Pinch skin, pick up syringe like a pencil and push needle straight into skin. Push plunger down.
- Let go of skin and pull needle from skin.