A hot water bag is a bag which filled with hot water and sealed with a stopper, used to provide warmth, but also use for the application of heat fomentation to a specific part of the body. To relieve pain and congestion by using hot water bag, also encouraging flow of blood. Local application of dry heat to a specific body part for a short duration using a rubber bag.
How to Use Hot Water Bag
Collect all the articles…..
- Hot water bag with protective cover.
- Pint measure.
- Review the doctor’s order for the purpose.
- Explain and instruct the person about the procedure.
- Boiled water at the 120 degree Fahrenheit
- Fill water bag 2/3rd full at 120o F (when the steam arise, can stop heating the water).
- Use 1/3rd full when applying to face and chest.
- Squeeze the hot water bag gently to remove air; replace the cap or plug. Make sure the seal is tight enough to prevent water from leaking out.
- Expel the air from the bag and secure the top with stopper.
- Test the bag for water leak by turning or inverting the closed bag upside down.
- Cover water bag with protective covering and check on the inner aspect of your wrist.
- Place bag on person’s skin but secure between layers of bed linen. Observe the skin after few seconds then replace bag on the site.
- At intervals turn and change the position of the bag. Observe the skin carefully.
- Remove the bag when the treatment is completed. Re-position person for comfort.
- Empty, clean and dry the bag. Inflate and store in proper place.
- Place the hot water bag on the affected area. If it is too painful, wrap the hot water bag in another towel to decrease the temperature, or place the hot water bag directly above or below the affected area.
- Apply heat to the affected area for 20 to 30 minutes. If the hot water bag gets too cool, refill the water, and check the temperature again.
- Always check hot water bag for any signs of splits, perishing rubber or signs of wear and tear. if you see any immediately replace it
- Made sure Close the top before using for any person
- Do not overfill the bag, it would be spillage on persons body and person gets burn.
- We should not sit on the hot water bag.
- We should not use hot water bag when we using an electric blanket
- Pregnant women can take the hot water bag, Woman’s muscles are exceptionally strong and are designed to provide safe environment for fetus(Baby)
If person is having pain on any part of the body, always wrap the hot water bag, do not apply without wrap it would get burn the skin.
Always keep double check on the cap, whether it is tightly close or not.
- Do not overfill the hot water bag, it cause spillage on person’s body.
- Never fill extreme boiling water in hot water bag. Water should be warm to hot, but still cool enough by touch
- Avoid to sit on the hot water bag. The pressure cause the bag gets burst or start to leak it causes burn.
- If person is having diabetes or any other conditions which causes decreased sensitivity. we have to give extra attention. There might be chances person suffers with diabetes neuropathy in which patient loss sensitivity on the lower limb. Always consult our doctor before starting heat therapy.
- Never sleep by taking hot water bag, it causes burn.