Hysterectomy is the removal of uterus (womb), when the disease affecting the uterus can be cured only surgically and cannot be corrected by giving medicines, these patient hysterectomy management require.
Patient who undergo vaginal and abdominal hysterectomy.
Abdominal hysterectomy – Surgical removal of the uterus (a hysterectomy) done through an incision made in the abdominal wall. As opposed to a vaginal hysterectomy in which the incision is made within the vagina.
Gyneac & Obstetric Department.
Consultant, Medical Officer, Staff Nurse, Auxillary Nurse Midwife and Head Nurse.
- Collect history of the patient.
- Send blood investigation, if not done.
- Ensure adequate blood is cross-matched and kept ready.
- Obtain written consent from patient and spouse / relative / witness as the case may be.
- Ensure operation booking is done.
- Carry out pre-operative order as advised.
- Shave and prepare from umbilicus to thigh and private part.
- Give simple enema / Proctolysis enema as per gynaecologist’s order and observe the result.
- Keep patient Nil By Mouth atleast for 6 hours.
- Give pre-medication as ordered by doctor.
- Foleys catheterization to be done before shifting patient to O.T. if require.
- Ensure that I.D. band is applied on the wrist as well as valuables are removed.
- Provide O.T. gown.
- Check surgical safety checklist at the time of shifting the patient to operation theatre. Post Operative.
- Hand over patient file along with all reports to operation Theatre Nurse.
- Check abdominal girth as follows –
- First 2 hours – every half hour
- Next 4 hours – every one hour
- Next 8 hours – every two hours
- Change pads every 4 hours and in-between, if necessary.
- Remove Foley’s catheter as instructed.
- Ambulate patient to bathroom on 2nd
- Change wound dressing as per the protocol of the hospital and instructions of gynecologist.
- Assist for removal of sutures as per the instructions of gynecologist.
- Place sterile dressing on the surgical incision.
Nurse’s Observation Sheet.