In diabetes person has to take more care of their feet. Feet are injured very easily when person suffers diabetes. On daily basis, person has to inspect their feet and daily care is needed for his feet.
Daily Care of Feet
- Check feet on daily basis for cuts, sores, redness or any infection.
- Do not soak feet as the skin will get dry.
- Always test temperature of the water with using elbow.
- Thoroughly wash and dry feet between toes.
- Examine feet in good light, use mirror if necessary.
- Diabetic person should be stopped using tobacco.
- An individual can use sunblock on exposed skin to prevent sun burn.
- Do not use hot bottles for longer period, because of less sensation it would be chances of burn.
- Always use footwear when walking, bare foot cause injury to the feet.
Care of Skin
- Person with diabetes have tendency of dryness of skin. They should use moisturizer on their body and should use pump bottle.
- Apply skin on your skin and massage it, but should not be applied on open sores or between toes.
- Perfume should not be applied on your skin.
- Always cut nails after the bath. After bath, nails become soft.
- Cut nails straight across preferably after bath.
- File sharps edges
- Do not let toe nail grow too long.
- If you yourself not able to cut the nails , then take the help of your friend and relative.
Buying a Shoe
- First match the foot shape to that of the shoe
- The shoe should be wide and deep at the toe.
- It should have a thick rubber sole.
- Leather shoes are best, as leather absorbs moisture and adapts to the feet.
- Do not wear high heels.
- Firm heel counter.
- Lace-up or Velcro should be preferred
- The shoes should have a smooth lining.
- Must accommodate any deformity present.
- For socks you have to select wool or cotton socks. It is comfortable for the feet.
- If you would be chosen white / light coloured socks, which may help to detect presence of any bleeding or discharge.
- Always use padded socks
- Tight tops should be avoided. Also avoid elastic socks.
- Avoid roughness of the skin which can cause ulceration.
- Knee-high stockings are not advisable.
- Socks should be washed daily and changed every day.