Passive smoking is also called second-hand smoke. In passive smoking, a person is not a smoker or not smoking any single cigarette. But he is breathing smoke exhaled by a smoker or smoke from the end of a burning cigarette or cigar. It is environmental tobacco smoke, which harms the all non-smoking adults and children.
Dangerous Chemicals Found in Second-Hand Smoke
There are two types of tobacco smoke
- Mainstream Smoke, which is directly inhaled by a person through the mouth end of the cigarette.
- Sidestream Smoke, which comes from the burning tip of the cigarette.
Second-hand smoke found in the surrounding air through this sidestream smoke and mainstream smoke. Sidestream smoke is more toxic (4times) than mainstream smoke, although people inhale in it a more dilute form. Cigarette contains carbon monoxide, nitrosamines, and ammonia.
Research shows sidestream smoke is more dangerous than mainstream smoke…
- At least 3 times more carbon monoxide
- 10-30 times as much nitrosamines
- Between 15–300 times much more ammonia
Scientific evidence shows how passive smoking is dangerous for health.
- Non-smokers who are exposed to second-hand smoke have an increased risk of lung cancer.
- Non-smokers who live with active smokers are more in danger zone to develop the risk of lung cancer.
- Passive smoking increases the risk of heart disease by 25-40%, almost same level as an active smoker.
How Can You Reduce the Impact of Passive Smoking At Home
I know, it is not so easy to quit smoking, but think how you can be reduced some of the impact of your smoking on those around us. You can use some quick tips for reducing the impact of smoking on others.
- Always keep in mind, do not smoke at home to reduce the health consequences of passive smoking on your family members.
- When you enter at home, immediately take shower and change the clothes, clothes, and body carries the particles of smoking poison, which harmful for others.
- You yourself have to decide, what you have to do, whether you are going to quit smoking or continue for the safety of you and your family.
- For quit smoking, you can use an electronic cigarette, which does not harm others.
Children with Passive Smoking
Breathing in second-hand smoke is harmful to children. These children are more likely at risk of…
- If women are smoker then her child more likely to suffer from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- Newborn and toddlers would be developed asthma because of passive smoking.
- Children will get respiratory problems more due to passive smoking.
- More other infections like meningitis, cough, and colds.
- Otitis media (middle ear infection) which causes hearing loss.
As per research is proven that children who grow up with a parent or family member who smokes are 3 times more likely to start smoking themselves.