- To maintain sterile field during labor.
- To maintain health promotion of mother and fetus
- To prevent health hazards which mother and fetus may undergo.
- To assist doctor in labor procedure.
- To detect and provide proper management of any hazards to delivery patient as early as possible.
Mothers who are in labor.
Managing a normal vaginal delivery involves the hand maneuvers used to assist the baby’s birth, immediate care of the new born and the delivery of the placenta.
Gyneac & Obstetric Department
Consultant, Medical Officer, Staff Nurse, Auxillary Nurse Midwife and Head Nurse.
- 2 gowns, 2 gloves, 2 masks
- 5 towels
- 2 leggings
- Dressing and tissue gauze
- Syringes, one for local anesthesia and one for methergine.
- Instruments : 2 cokhers, 2 arteries, 1 scissor, 1 needle holder, sims, 1 tissue forceps, toothed and non-tooth..
- Chromic catgut suture.
- Newborn tray, clamp, identification band, suction tube, alcohol swab, scissor,
- Check good place, light and complete equipment.
- Put delivery patient (mother) in lithotomy position.
- Identify signs of 2nd stage of labor.
- Explain procedure to the mother.
- Put on mask, overhead and scrubbing, gowning and gloving.
- Arrange equipment on the tray according to the sequence of procedure.
- Perineal care with antiseptic solution.
- Draping the mother according to the procedure.
- Evacuate mother bladder by catheterization.
- Following-up labor progress by PV examination.
- Instruct mother to bear down during contractions and relax in between.
- Give the doctor the syringe of local anesthesia.
- Help doctor in providing local anesthesia.
- Observe presenting part for crowning occur when 3-4 cms. of the head appear during uterine contraction.
- Give scissor to the doctor to cut episiotomy according to the procedure.
- Assist the doctor to support perineum with sterile dressing and maintain good flexion of the fetal head at the same time.
- Deliver head and expulsion of fetal body.
- Clamping 1st cocker on the cord far from the mother at least 20 cm.
- Evacuate small segment.
- Clamping 2nd cocker on the cord far from the first about 10 cm.
- Cutting cord between 2 cokher down ward.
- Assist doctor in expulsion of placenta.
- Inspection of placenta by examining fetal and maternal parts.
- Give Inj. Methargine to circulating nurse as per doctor’s advice.
- Perineal care and change the sheet which is under the mother.
- Assist the doctor in episiotomy repair.
- Ensure the uterus is well contracted.
- Perineal care.
- Explore area of episiotomy.
- Swabbing with Betadine on the episiotomy site.
- Put sterile dressing on the perineal area.
- Remove all towels from the mother.
- Collect equipment and clean instrument.
- Wash hands and prepare delivery setting to new labour.
- Report complete information about mother and baby.
Nurse’s Observation Sheet.