Millions of people, who is living with diabetes, they are effectively manage their diabetes very well both off and on-the-job with changing habits at workplace. A positive attitude coupled with co-operation from the employer and the colleagues goes a long way in managing diabetes while being at work.
For a working professional to balance his / her life with personal life is very important
Motivational enhancement strategies in diabetic have the potential to augment person’s own motivation to engage in healthcare behaviour. Following principles of behaviour modification can be increased patients’ self-efficacy and their experience of success.
What is the Role of Diabetes Educator in Motivating People with Diabetes at Workplace
As diabetes is unique to every individual, the diabetes management plan is unique for each person’s needs. The plan includes, regular exercise, regular medical review, diet, insulin and other medication therapies.
Diabetes educator plays a vital role in promotion and encouragement of interventions that support the integral function that being active holds in diabetes self-management. This includes working with the patients to identify the best programme for each person, based on individual needs and preferences as well as support to overcome the barriers.
The Diabetic Educators can Motivate People with Diabetes By…
- Explaining why brisk walking is important while at work. Also why physical activity is important in diabetes management.
- Always visit to diabetologist before starting any exercise. Start exercises with minimal starts and then it became aggressive. Do exercises which you tolerate. Do not over exert the body.
- Recommending safe and effective physical activity options and balanced diet during office hours.
- Evaluating physical, cognitive and emotional barriers to an appropriate diabetes self-management education (DSME) programme and counselling strategies applicable in the office scenario.
- Individuals with or at risk for diabetes should engage in appropriate levels of daily physical activity based on personal preference and physical limitations such as walk on breaks in office.