To perform diagnostic studies.
Lumber puncture is the insertion of a needle into the lumbar subarachnoid space to withdraw cerebrospinal fluid.
Head Nurse, Staff Nurse, Auxillary Nurse Midwife, NICU Registrar, Housekeeping Attendant.
- Keep the following equipments ready –
- Sterile gloves and disposable mask.
- Antiseptic solution.
- Lumber puncture tray with 22G needle 11/2”.
- Sterile Cotton and Gauze.
- Sterile Dressing.
- Sterile Drape.
- Benzoin Compound.
- Specimen Containers as per the requirement.
- Pulse Oxymeter.
- Disinfectant for Hand Hygiene.
- Kidney Tray.
- Obtain written consent from the parents.
- Keep required articles ready.
- Monitor the infant, check O2
- Assist doctors for gloving.
- Position the child in such a way that the spine should be flexed forward to open the space between the vertebrae, posteriorly.
- Take care that the breathing is not affected.
- Do not flex the neck too much.
- Assist for cleaning the site.
- Collect the specimen for investigation in 1 culture bottle, 1 plain bulb, 1 fluoride bulb, 1 EDTA bulb.
- After the procedure, apply tincture benzoin seal at the site.
- Check the infant’s vitals.
- Make the infant comfortable.
- Check the blood glucose level (HGT).
- Segregate generated Bio-Medical Waste as per the HIC policy.
- Remove the articles and send to CSSD.
- Label the sample, record in the pathology register and send the samples to the pathology laboratory with the attendant.
- Vital Signs, HGT.
- Observation of general condition of the infant throughout the procedure.
- Quantity colour CSF collected.
- The name of the doctor carrying out the procedure.
- Feeding to be resumed after ½ hour.
- Nurse’s Observation Sheet