- To ventilate apneic or spontaneously breathing patients to augment ventilation.
- To deliver supplemental oxygen.
- To prevent hypoxia.
Patients who are in critical condition or not responding.
A flexible reservoir bag connected by tubing and a non-rebreathing valve to a face mask or endotracheal tube and used for artificial ventilation. It is self-inflating with room air or from an oxygen source.
Consultant, ICU Registrar, Staff Nurse, ANM and Head Nurse.
Requirements / Equipments
- Ambu bag connected to an oxygen supply source –
- Reservoir Bag.
- Face Mask.
- Pulse Oxymeter.
- Disinfectant for hand Hygiene.
- Suction apparatus with connections.
- Suction catheter.
- Kidney Tray
- Check the Ambu bag for patency.
- Explain the procedure to patient, if conscious.
- Hand Hygiene with disinfectant.
- Wear gloves.
- Connect the supply tubing to supplemental oxygen source.
- Keep the patient in supine position.
- Fix the face mask to the chin and to the nose by putting it upwards and extending the neck with one hand (head tilt & chin lift).
- Ventilate the patient by compressing the Ambu bag with other hand, observe chest movement.
- Release pressure on the Ambu bag.
- If secretions present, clear the airway by suctioning.
- Repeat the procedures as required.
- Artificial Ventilation for Ventilated Patient using an Ambu bag
- Check the function of Ambu Bag.
- Explain the procedure to the patient, if conscious.
- Wash the hands and put on sterile gloves.
- Connect the supply tubing to supplemental oxygen source and adjust gas flow. Oxygen to be given 100%.
- Attach pulse Oxymeter and monitor saturation through out the procedure. It should be above 94%.
- Disconnect the ventilator from tubing and attach Ambu bag.
- Place the other end of the ventilator tube on a sterile towel.
- Ventilate the patient by compressing the Ambu bag observing chest movement.
- Release the compression on Ambu bag.
- Check for secretions; if present clear the airway by suctioning.
- Repeat the procedure as required.
- Once the procedure is complete, disconnect the Ambu bag and connect the ventilator. Observe chest movements, recheck ventilator parameters
- ICU flow chart.
- Nurses Observation Sheet.