To ensure that the child undergoes admission formalities without any problems
All in-patients to the Hospital
Admitting a child in the neonatal intensive care unit for observation, investigation, diagnosis, treatment and care
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Consultant, Head Nurse, Staff Nurse and Pediatric Doctor
- When the neonate is admitted with prior information keep the radiant warmer on and the unit ready.
- Keep the following equipment s’ ready as per patient’s condition
Articles for I.V. Cannulations
Articles for Blood Investigation
Check if oxygen and suction is for proper functioning
Disinfectant for Hand Hygiene
- Admission for the child is done in the NICU if child is having any infectious disease or if the mother is having any history of infectious disease, child is admitted septic NICU.
- Weigh the baby, keep the baby in the cradle and attach the warmer.
- Verify the baby’s details like sex, date of birth, name of the mother.
- As per the requirement of the infant start the oxygen and do suction.
- Asses the baby from head to foot for any abnormalities.
- Check the vital sign (rectal temperature, in case of neonate).
- Check the abdominal girth, head circumference and record it.
- The on-call doctor is informed about the patient depending on the condition of the child.
- Carry out doctor’s orders as per priority needs.
- Check HGT for all neonates.
- Collect the blood and Start IV Fluids after doing I/V Cannulations (Blood is sent for common investigations such as CBC, Blood Group, G6PD), in case of neonate.
- Make the child comfortable.
- Handover the belongings to the parents and take signature while handling over the valuables.
- Check whether admission deposit is paid or not.
- Check if the child has received Vitamin K and administer, if necessary.
- Orient the parents regarding NICU and hospital policy.
- Complete all the relevant records and document in the nurse’s notes.
- Condition on admission
- Treatment given and investigation send
- Pediatrician attending the call
- Progress of the child
- Any other relevant observation
- Any abnormal observation
- Maintain all in the brief in nursing observations
Admission and Discharge Register.